Wednesday, November 07, 2007

My Business Has A Name

Thank you to everyone who participated in helping me name my business. Unfortunately, the person who came up with the perfect name already has one of my books. In fact, it’s dedicated to him! My husband, Alan, came up with the name when I asked him if he was thinking about it. When he told me he could not read my blog because it was blocked at work, I filled him in. He said, “How about A Word Or Two,” and I jumped. I loved it and thought it was the perfect name for a writing business.

So, that is the new name: A Word Or Two. I will get to work on my collateral materials, send out a press release, and what I have been doing for years will no longer be a sole proprietorship, but an LLC.

While waiting for my tax number, I had to start scheduling next semester’s round of adult education classes. I teach The Business of Freelance Writing, and Write Your Novel. The first is about the mechanics of making a living as a freelance writer such as the things you need to have in place, the way to get jobs, etc. The Novel class is the way I personally organize things when I write a novel. I am very good at researching using the internet and many other writing-related skills.

What other courses might be of interest to my students?

If you have any ideas, I would love to hear them. It is always rewarding meeting new writers and helping them along their journey to publication. I would love to know if there is anything I am missing.

While I wait for your wisdom, here are a few tidbits for you.

When you are making out your Holiday card list this year, please include the following:

Cards for our American service members. (Remember, they are not all soldiers, but other service members as well.)

A Recovering American Armed Service Member
c/o Walter Reed Army Medical Center
6900 Georgia Avenue,NW
Washington,D.C. 20307-5001

Aqua Dot Recallhttp://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/story.html?id=4f76018a-9856-485c-962f-8ffb2bd67ca4

It seems the little "dots" can turn into a deadly substance if kids put them in their mouths. Mine will remain hidden until they figure this one out.

National Novel Writers Month
http://www.nanowrimo.org/

I signed up, but have no written a word of my book yet. It is SO not going to happen, but I thought I would let readers know about it. Perhaps you can consider it for next year.

Have a happy and productive week!

3 comments:

Melonie said...

I like it! He's savvy. Isn't it amazing how sometimes someone else will just pop off with something in an instant when you've been slaving away trying to come up with an idea? *sigh*

As for the classes: I wonder if a course on blogging might be up your students' alley. For instance, marketing your writing business through a blog, following good blog etiquette so editors who check you out online aren't aghast at how you "talk" about folks and issues on your blog, the importance of proofreading and fact checking (it's not "just" a blog, it's often the first thing an editor may see of your work these days), and methods of using blogposts to create e-books/books.

If you use the idea, do I get free tuition? *chuckle*

Melonie said...

I like it! He's savvy. Isn't it amazing how sometimes someone else will just pop off with something in an instant when you've been slaving away trying to come up with an idea? *sigh*

As for the classes: I wonder if a course on blogging might be up your students' alley. For instance, marketing your writing business through a blog, following good blog etiquette so editors who check you out online aren't aghast at how you "talk" about folks and issues on your blog, the importance of proofreading and fact checking (it's not "just" a blog, it's often the first thing an editor may see of your work these days), and methods of using blogposts to create e-books/books.

If you use the idea, do I get free tuition? *chuckle*

tessa said...

From one writer to another ... love the name! Would love any tips you have to offer on finding the dedication to write a novel. Have one started ... but that's as far as I've gotten.

Best wishes