Thursday, May 22, 2008

GUEST BLOGGER - Yes, I'm a military wife.

Guest blogger, Sheri Riley Roman of Candid Girl Chat is my first guest blogger. Sheri shares her blog with Abby Marmion and they blog about a variety of subjects. She has agreed to blog in my place this week. I will do the same for their blog in the future, so go over there and take a look at what they are doing, too.

Enjoy!
Rosemary

---------------

With admiration and a military salute, I am contributing my story.

If you had told me as a child that I would have many connections to the military, I would’ve scoffed. Then it started. In the 70s, my girlfriends had older brothers serving in Vietnam. They had fathers who served in WWII. My parents didn’t serve in the military and I didn’t have an older brother so this was more of a remote feeling rather than a true understanding of the situation.

In 1986, I met a man and I eventually married him. He is a Vietnam veteran. His brother is a Vietnam veteran. His parents who lived with us were both WWII veterans. I was immersed in a culture that I did not understand.

My husband was an army ranger, which basically means he’s a trained killer. A bump in the night still makes him jump. I’ve never been afraid of him but I pity the fool who decides to break into our house.

Do you wonder if this war is going to go on forever? I do. I have a 19-year old son and he had to register. There’s no draft but if this drags on, I’m scared. I think of my mother-in-law who served her term (voluntarily) in WWII and then fretted while she had two sons serving their tour of duty in Vietnam. I hope I don’t follow suit.

I’m not a military mom. I’m a military wife. I did not know this man while he was serving our country but I promise you, I have lived with the military. ‘Still do.

No comments: