Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Follow your bliss

Last week, Anderson Cooper spoke at Yale University’s graduation. He told the graduates to, “Follow your bliss.” What a cool guy.

This quote by Joseph Campbell is one of my favorites. I have always told young people, older people, any people really, to do what makes them happiest, especially when choosing a career. It’s true one sometimes doesn’t have a choice in the way they make money, they just need to make it so they can keep a roof over their head and food on their table. I understand because I have been there, but when the crisis is over, why not do what you love to do? Life is waaaaaaaaay too short. You don’t realize this until some catastrophe happens in your life, and I do NOT mean losing a job or flunking out of school. Those are inconsequential next to health problems or death.

When you are struck down by a major health problem - and yes, I mean struck down – or when someone close to you dies, the world goes into a tailspin. You feel as if nothing at all is in your control. It is then you realize what is important. Suddenly that pile of filing or things you want to check out on the internet goes in the waste bin beneath your desk. Those e-mails offering this and that get deleted. That plant you wanted to get in the ground gets in the ground while the dishes sit in the sink for another hour. In other words, the world lets you know what is truly important.

It upsets me sometimes, not a lot, but enough, when I see people I know caring about the inconsequential things in their life such as who doesn’t like them, whether the children did a chore or not, or other such nonsensical worries. This is when I know with absolute certainty that this person has never been through a major crisis in their life. More power to them. I wouldn’t wish tragedy on anyone, not even those I don’t really like. I do, however, start to wonder if it will take an earth-shattering event in their life to make them see what is right in front of them. The beautiful child who made the mess, for instance, rather than the mess itself.

So, follow your bliss. Do what you love to do and the little things won’t bother you as much because you will truly be happy … if you let yourself, that is.

Please keep Kimberly Dozier of WCBS in your prayers.

No comments: