Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Our connectivity practices are not always polite.

We are always connected, sometimes even when we want to disappear. Between our Blackberries and iPhones, our wireless internet and wired coffee shops, we are never far from whoever needs to reach us or thinks they need to know what we’re doing. The problem is does EVERYONE ALWAYS NEED to know what we’re doing? I mean do they really NEED to know that I’m running out to put my garbage cans by the curb, or that I just dusted my living room?

I bring this up after hearing that attendees listening to President Obama speak to Congress last night were tweeting during the entire event. The radio announcer wondered if our Vice President was also tweeting after noticing how many times he looked down toward the floor during the speech. Was he simply contemplating Obama’s words or was he exercising his right to tweet?

For those of you who have no idea what I’m talking about, “tweeting” is the act of typing in 140 words or less what you are doing to a band of followers. That’s really it in a nutshell. It is a helpful tool for those of us involved in p.r. or journalism, and it can be helpful during times of chaos such as when the war in Gaza began. People caught in the crossfire were tweeting their whereabouts and activities while bombs and rockets flew all around them. As I said, it can be useful, but isn’t it kind of – I don’t know – RUDE to be doing anything other than listening and paying attention when the President of the United States is speaking about your country’s severe economic problems?

I’m just sayin’…

DON'T FORGET TO:

Vote for me in the 2009 Best Mommy Blogger Awards.
http://www.scholastic.com/parents/blogcontest/

Help pass the Military Spouse Residency Relief Act.
This is being introduced today, so get crackin' and contact your representatives.

How to find your representatives:

Senator http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm
Representative https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml

No comments: