Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Do you underestimate yourself?

I went for a job interview the other day and finally felt good about my performance! Even though I am the consummate professional at these occasional interviews, there is always that insecure feeling deep down inside. I wonder if I look professional enough or if my “mommy-ness” is evident. I mean I am a gal who works from home all day. I really do wear sweats and frequently hide my unmade-up face behind sunglasses when I pick up the kids from school. When it comes time to get gussied up for a professional meeting, even if it is just networking with other freelancers, I find myself feeling a bit inadequate.

Then there is the actual part of the meeting during which I have to answer questions with intelligent, well-thought answers. Did I sound intelligent? Did my answer sound as if I thought about this interview or the position enough? When you “speak” via the keyboard all day, and speak to children the rest of the time, it can sometimes make you sound like a blithering idiot. This does not even begin to consider my laid back, casual attitude hard won by the trials and tribulations that have occurred in my life. Do not get me wrong. Life is good, but it has not always been this way for me.

Therefore, the other day, all of this walked into the interview with me, but I finally accepted it. I accepted who I am and realized the considerable skill and insight I would bring to this particular job. All of my experiences have converged to put me in the right place at the perfect time for me.

What I want to know is this: has this ever happened to you? Did you have a moment when you realized who you are and celebrated that person and all of her talents as well as the flaws?

In the meantime, do not underestimate yourself, whether you have “off-ramped” to raise your children or to support your husband’s career, or whether you are gunning for a better job. You have to believe in yourself or no one else will. I do! Even if I do not get this job, I know I nailed that interview.

No comments: