Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Conferences Can Be Valuable

I have always told my adult education students to write instead of talk about writing. Put that fingers to the keyboard or, as my friend, Chris, does, put that pen to paper and get your story out so that others can read it.

Then there is talking about writing at my annual writer’s conference. I call it “mine,” though I am not even a member of this organization. I am trying my best to get in and it has become a life quest, but I do not have enough national clips – yet. The conference is the American Society of Journalist and Authors Conference which is held in New York every spring. By attending, I have learned about blogs, the business of freelance and how to pitch successfully. I have also made a number of connections over the past few years from editors to fellow writers who I have tapped for sources and advice.

Writing is a solitary event, as we know. It is always nice when we writers crawl out of our home offices and meet each other. At the end of the conference, we can crawl back into our holes, filled with the knowledge that we are not alone. There are others out there who love to work alone, create their own jobs and drive their own busses, so to speak.

In April, I will gladly talk about writing if only to benefit from the experience of those who have been doing this a lot longer than me. I will then come home and apply my experience after feverishly digesting my many pages of notes.

Check out the ASJA Conference and consider talking about writing for the weekend. It will be worth your time. I promise you!

No comments: