Thursday, July 26, 2007

Tragedy in Connecticut

Once again, I find myself working feverishly. This is not a bad thing, just a little stressful. I always wonder if I will get enough information from enough sources with enough time to write a decent…who am I kidding?...FANTASTIC…article. This time, the assignment is two articles, but with some similar content, thank God. I am also in the middle of preparations for our town’s annual 4-day festival, the Savin Rock Festival, at which I will be working. The West Haven Council on the Arts, of which I am the V.P., will have a table and I just want to make sure everything goes as planned. We are new and I want us to make as big of an impact as possible.

I did, however, want to take a moment to ask a question. No doubt you have heard about the recent triple murder of a mother and her 2 daughters in Cheshire, CT, a rather sleepy town where this type of thing does not happen. The father/husband escaped the burning house with severe injuries from a meeting with a baseball bat and two criminals.

The night it happened, I heard the younger suspect, a man of only 26-years-old, would have been in jail if Connecticut had enacted the Three Strikes Law. This law states that state courts are obligated to incarcerate for an extended period of time criminals who commit three or more serious crimes. The logic is that they are pathological criminals and a menace to society.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but the 26-year-old would have been in prison had Connecticut had a competent Three Strikes law.

Any thoughts you would like to share? Add them here.

No comments: