Wednesday, May 23, 2007

96 Years

My grandfather passed away today at the ripe old age of 96. We will miss him, but what a blessing to have him around for all this time. This is one of the first things I thought of when I heard the news.

The I thought, what is it like for him on the other side, right now? Who will he see first? Of his two wives, my grandmother and Grandma Geri, as we called his sweet second wife, who will he hug first? Has he seen my dad yet? It’s been 23 years since Dad’s death. Is the time that has passed apparent or does everyone look the same as they did when they died? Do they look younger? Do they “look” like anything at all?

Grandpa, here’s to you. You lived life on your own terms, and died just the same. With your grandson by your side, sitting up in your chair, you walked gently into the night. Godspeed.

2 comments:

Lea Dales Photography said...

RO, I am so sorry to read about your grandfather. My prayers are with you and your family. Call or email when you can.
Lea

Yuwanda Black said...

Rosemary,

What a nice "send off" note to your grandfather. It's nice when a life has been well-lived and one can feel almost a sense of joy at the person's "home going," mixed with, of course, the sadness.

Best,
Yuwanda