Friday, April 06, 2007

Fuhget aboudit!

I was just listening to a report about this weekend’s return of the Sopranos to HBO. People are upset about the portrayal of Italian Americans on this show, so much so that they want all Italian Americans to boycott The Sopranos.

You’re kidding, right? How does a TV show hurt Italian Americans as a group? If someone is dumb enough to think a TV show which portrays the less attractive side of my heritage is a good representation of all Italian Americans, would anything change their mind? The answer is a resounding no. It has been my experience that ignorant people are ignorant because they never learn, their opinions are based on what other people think, and no discussion will ever enlighten them. Even if one of these people had a personal friend who was an Italian American, they wouldn’t change their mind. They would simply make an exception for their friend, saying they are not typical of the group as a whole.

I am going to enjoy The Sopranos this weekend. It’s a perfect cap to a hectic weekend, with comedy which sometimes only other Italian Americans can understand, and great food to be imitated in my kitchen. The mispronunciations are intentional as is the portrayal of this portion of our society. So fuhget aboudit! Just enjoy it for what it is, a television show meant to entertain.

Watch 'Seven Minute Sopranos' on Utube to catch up on the show. It is for mature audiences, but hysterical if you are a fan of the show.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello fellow MW. I for one appreciate this blog. You are a fine writer, and anyone who likes The Sopranos is alright by me. I agree with your views here. P.S. I'm going to get back to work on my blog since re-joining MomWriters. judith.acton.ayala.blogspot.com