Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Working From Home

I am a work-at-home-mom of small children, so my work time is very limited. While my eldest is in school 5 days per week, my youngest is in daycare for only 2 days. With so few hours to work each week, you would think I work fast and hard. Most of the time, I do. I go through my office like a whirling dervish (whatever that is), filing loose papers, querying magazines, preparing for my adult education classes. Then there are days like today.

Today I had maybe one productive hour. My desk is still a mess, my article has not been completed, and my e-mail inbox is still piled with junk. In fact, that’s who I can blame today. My e-mail!

I get lots of junk, no matter what I do. I give out a separate address to insistent non-work-related businesses and services who require it to answer a Customer Service question. That’s not the box I ever check. It’s my main account that is hassling me today. I mean, what person can resist to at least check that fun newsletter from their favorite store or the blog related to their favorite hobby? Am I supposed to just ignore the message offering help with my housecleaning for a deep discount? Is that limited time offer going to be there when I finish cleaning up my inbox?

The answer is no. So I have to open things that keep me from writing that article or finishing that research. I’ll get it done, but after everyone goes to sleep when I should be winding down for the night, or when my toddler is playing with Thomas or watching The Backyardigans. I’m not perfect, only human.

Pardon me while I go check my eBay account.

No comments: